S’mores Cookie Bars ~
Camping and s’mores–the perfect combination. But when you don’t have a fire pit, here’s a delicious option to take on the hiking trail, camping in your backyard or under a blanket fort in the living room.
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (9 graham crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 heaping cup marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8 or 9×9 square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving enough overhang on the sides to easily remove the bars when they have cooled. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar together on medium-high speed. Beat for about 2 minutes until smooth and combined, then add the vanilla extract and egg, beating until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl down as needed. Set aside.
- Toss the flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder together until combined. With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Press 2/3 of the graham cookie dough into prepared pan. Spread the marshmallow creme on top. Sprinkle the marshmallow creme with chocolate chips. Mold the remaining cookie dough into flat pieces and layer on top of the chocolate chips. You won’t have enough dough to make one single layer, so some chocolate chips will be exposed. That’s ok.
- Bake the bars for 25 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown. Allow to cool completely with the pan set on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
- Bars stay fresh covered tightly at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- If using unsalted butter, add in 1/4 teaspoon of salt with the flour.
- Recipe courtesy of Sally’s Baking Addiction